2011 Mock Draft is a joke

A.M.G.
2011 Mock Draft is a joke

Now I know a mock draft before the NCAA season has even started is conjecture anyways, but come on, the current 2011 Mock is pretty poorly done. Whoever does these things needs to think a little harder about what they have up there now.

These are some ideas for improving it.

Let's start with the players who probably should be on the 2011 mock and aren't:

Josh Selby - Rivals #1 player in his HS class, and I'm pretty sure he has stated his desire to be a one-and-done.

LaceDarius Dunn - Possibly the most grievous omission, especially given some of the &$#%#&@! seniors who they do have getting drafted (we'll get to that shortly). Dunn will be one of the top scorers in the country, with good size and athleticism for an NBA bench SG. He might not be a first rounder, but he ain't going undrafted.

John Henson - Huge potential and playing next to Harrison Barnes will get him drafted, probably late lottery.

Marcus Morris - His production for Kansas will explode this year. Doesn't have a whole lot of upside, but will declare for 2011, and his productivity will make him a first rounder.

Cory Joseph - Too good of an all-around PG to not go lottery, I just think he'll declare this year.

Tyshawn Taylor - Will get his crack at running the KU team full-time this year, has NBA size and athleticism for PG position, will not wait for senior year to enter draft.

Greg Smith - I could be wrong here, but this kid is a legit-sized NBA center with potential. Given the lack of quality centers in the NBA, GMs are more likely to draft a center on potential than any other position. Why would Smith wait until that potential mystique wears off?

Damian Saunders - Superior athlete, rebounder, shot-blocker, excellent size for SF position. Like Dunn he isn't a first rounder, but he's a ****ing sight too good to go undrafted.

Scottie Hopson - This is more a prediction of Hopson's pampered ego causing him to declare, not a suggestion that he will be making the right decision.

Yancy Gates - I would draft a big ass PF like this late in the first round, I don't know about NBA GMs. Given a healthy season, he'll declare.

Malcolm Delaney - Possibly ACC player of the year. ACC players of the year don't go undrafted. At the very least I see him being the top scorer in the ACC, and he has good size to be a combo guard.

Jordan Hamilton - This is a big MAYBE, I just think he will explode for Texas with Damion James gone. I am partially basing this on his prima donna mindset too, being such a highly-touted high school player.

A couple guys whose draft positions are probably underestimated:

Jan Vesely - If it looks like he will come over immediately, he would go top 5.

Jeff Taylor - I just think 26 is pretty low for him. Legit NBA SF, will be one of SECs absolute top players.

ANd now for some guys who probably are NBA players, but whose draft positions are seriously overestimated, or who will probably wait til 2012:

Terrence Jones - I think he will be a one-and-done, but come on, 7th overall?!? That is way, WAY too high for a classic tweener who will be completely overshadowed by Kanter.

Willie Reed - An intriguing and lengthy athlete, but a first rounder he is not. Also kind of doubt he will declare this year.

Demetri McCamey - Chunky, unathletic combo guards tend not to go first round, no matter how productive they are. See Sherron Collins and Byron Eaton.

Rodney Williams - For one, I doubt he will declare this year. For seconds, he won't go lottery if he does. If his production and skill level has improved significantly from last year, I would change my mind of course, he is a spectacular athlete.

Tyler Honeycutt - Exactly the same problem as Rodney Williams. Draft position badly overestimated, and won't declare anyways.

Maalik Wayns - Star seniors Corey Fisher and Corey Stokes keep him a backup for this year, thus he does not develop the buzz necessary to warrant first round guarantee he would presumably need.

Derrick Williams - I could be wrong about this one, I really could. He was staggeringly productive for a freshman, especially such an unheralded one. I just think he won't declare just yet. If he improves significantly and shows some ability to be a combo forward instead of a pure PF, scratch this particular protest entirely.

Lastly, the guys on this site's 2011 mock who (probably) won't get drafted at all:

Amu Saaka - Who? Not happening, even late in the 2nd.

Sam Muldrow - It's bad enough you have him HIGH in the second round, he won't even get picked.

Eniel Polynice - Explain to me what would compel an NBA team to draft this guy. He didn't even average 10 ppg last year, and he was a damn junior.

Ravern Johnson - One of the less grievously bad inclusions, but he's still probably not getting picked. Dude is manorexicly thin.

Anatoly Bose - I have vaguely heard he is decently good in a minor conference. That doesn't mean an NBA team will pick him. Most teams actually do try to get a player they might use with their second round picks.

Justin Hurtt - No. Huh? No again.

Jon Leuer - I just think he probably won't get drafted, certainly not in the first 5 picks of the second round, there will still be players with upside left at that point... yes, I am insinuating that Leuer has no upside.

Gary Flowers - I just haven't heard much about him is all. He might get drafted I guess. Good athlete, puts up numbers in C-USA. If he's actually a SF, I retract my prediction of him going undrafted.

Ibrahima Thomas - Certainly has NBA size and talent. He just hasn't ever done anything with them, and GMs have lost interest. Prove me wrong Ibrahima.

Just my opinions, of course. But if you think about it, you'll realize my opinions are actually inarguable facts.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
How about lets wait until the

How about lets wait until the season starts. It's extremely pointless to even pay attention to the 2011 mock when the season hasn't even started yet.

Malik-Universal
Malik-Universal's picture
i like your arguements dude,

i like your arguements dude, but it's still early

Malik-Universal
Malik-Universal's picture
i like your arguements dude,

i like your arguements dude, but it's still early

NashyMing
NashyMing's picture
It's obviously too early to

It's obviously too early to determine the draft ranking. I think NBADraft.net did their best. However, I do agree on some of your opinions.

the U 327
Your arguments suck. If you

Your arguments suck. If you dont know who Amu Saaka is, than dont say he wont be drafted. And LaceDarius Dunn wont play for a while anyway so why would he enter the draft, let alone be a high second round pick. Plus the season hasnt even started.

A.M.G.
No, I think I will say that

No, RIP MANUTE, I think I will say that Amu Saaka won't get drafted, because he won't. I have literally never, ever heard of him(mostly because he plays for a nothing team in a nothing conference), and even if NBA scouts have heard of him, they certainly aren't considering wasting a pick on him.

As for LaceDarius Dunn, he is a college senior. He has no college eligibility left after this season, and will be automatically eligible to be drafted. So I'm not sure what you're talking about bro. My guess is you're just a little slow, and are trying to talk about things you know **** all about. My real problem was that Dunn is entirely not on the mock draft, which is ridiculous.

Morons aside, I don't think it is too much to ask for the mock draft to be reasonably accurate, even before the season starts. I mean, the mock is kind of the central feature of the site, and whoever is in charge of it should really know these things.

llperez
llperez's picture
you say tyler honeycutts

you say tyler honeycutts draft position is highly overestimated at 16? How much have you watched him may ask?

kanyedabest
kanyedabest's picture
jnixon how bout u go make

jnixon how bout u go make another fake account

JNixon
JNixon's picture
lol

lol

llperez
llperez's picture
since you are back on here

since you are back on here again ripping people, answer my question about honeycutt. How much have you watched him play and what do you not like about his game. Im not gonna talk about everyone else on this list becasue i mostly just follow the pac 10. I actually dont have any problem with your assesment of derrick williams.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
I think this site got Josh

I think this site got Josh Shelby going like 18th in the 2012 mock draft.

Am I the only person who thinks this is insane.

As long as Shelby is eligible and ready to play there is no way he's not a lottery pick.

And you do make some valid points tho I think Honeycutt is a lottery pick too.

And Nova will literally put 4 guards on the court at one time so Waayns will get a chance to showcase his talent and after draft workouts and the combine he's another player I feel could be a borderline lottery pick.

And you're right about Rodney Williams and Jan Vasselly

The Scare Crow ...
Yeah HoneyCutt is nice but he'll return I think

I love the UCLA system...It's like NBA U...And Honeycutt would be a late lottery early 20's pick...and he'll be ateal to whoever drafts him...he plays great D and has a good versatile offensive game...and he's a Bruin...now why are you guys not on the other Thread...

llperez
llperez's picture
plenty of bruins have left

plenty of bruins have left early. Farmar, afflalo, mbah a moute, love, westbrook, holiday have all left early, so not sure how being a bruin will keep honeycutt at ucla. I certainyl would love for him to stay though so i hope im wrong, but i think he is gonna absolutley blow up this year and he will be in the 10-15 range and he wont be able to not enter next years draft.

The Scare Crow ...
NBA University=UCLA

they have the best pro system in place period...I'm also watching Malcolm Lee...He's a sleeper...Ben Howland Pg's do not let you down in the NBA

A.M.G.
What is this, the UCLA

What is this, the UCLA Anti-Defamation League? Or just a bunch of overly-defensive homers, butt hurt after a losing season? I obviously haven't seen Honeycutt play as much as you have, but I can tell you he only averaged 7.2 ppg last season on a team that went 14-18, and that he weighs under 200 lbs as a 6'7 SF. So he's way too skinny for the NBA right now, and so far has put up only slightly above average numbers on a mediocre squad. Not really conducive to making the jump.

His length and skill will make him a first rounder in 2012, not 2011.

llperez
llperez's picture
are you twelve? Seriously, i

are you twelve? Seriously, i asked you a very legit question since you are calling out aran smith and this site for not knowing their stuff and you get all defensive and call names and bring up stats. All I asked was how many times have you seen him and what dont you like about his skills. But now i dont really care what you have to say, fu.ck off.

A.M.G.
Holy hell, sand in your

Holy hell, sand in your vagina much perez hilton? The UCLA fans being butt hurt thing was a joke, but now I'm starting to see you guys really are butt hurt. Well UCLA won't be much better this season.

I answered your damn question: Tyler Honeycutt is too skinny for the NBA right now, and hasn't really done that much in terms of production yet.

I mean god forbid I bring up a few basic stats and facts to, you know, demonstrate that Honeycutt wasn't a huge scorer and he was on a bad team. There is nothing I "dislike about his skills", he would just need to have a breakout season, and bulk up a bit, if he actually wants to enter the draft as a sophomore and be a first rounder.

Do you really need a specific number of times I've watched Honeycutt play? A couple of times on TV, seriously, you "fu.ck off" you &$#%#&@!.

Mkadoza
Mkadoza's picture
Can anyone say what will make

Can anyone say what will make Selby a lotto pick besides his lofty ranking in one poll?

the lake show
I think this site puts

I think this site puts players in draft slots based on what they are tanked as a player. Doesn't mean the NBA teams will actually draft them

also how u know teams won't waste a pick on that kid. You talk to NBA teams? U work for the nba

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
"LaceDarius Dunn - Possibly

"LaceDarius Dunn - Possibly the most grievous omission, especially given some of the &$#%#&@! seniors who they do have getting drafted (we'll get to that shortly). Dunn will be one of the top scorers in the country, with good size and athleticism for an NBA bench SG. He might not be a first rounder, but he ain't going undrafted."

Feel free to tell me the team that would want to have a post-draft press conference with a marginal NBA talent who has been accused of breaking the jaw of the mother of his son. I like Dunn as a player, but I don't think there is a chance any team would draft him regardless as to how the situation plays out. He simply isn't good enough to carry that kind of baggage.

Most of your other comments are simply baseless predictions as to who would go and who wouldn't. You also play on the ignorance of some players and people you clearly don't like with no attempt to ground those beliefs in anything. This just makes your final sentence of "you'll realize my opinions are actually inarguable facts" all the more funny. You wrote a long narrative of nothing. "GMs are more likely to draft a center on potential than any other position. Why would Smith wait until that potential mystique wears off?" as if you have this grand insight into the ignorance of professional talent evaluators or that Greg Smith is somehow trying to scam people into thinking he is good when he knows that he is not. This coming from a guy who thinks because he hasn't heard of or seen a player he therefore cannot possibly be any good.

A.M.G.
BothTeamsPlayedHard First

BothTeamsPlayedHard

First off, I thought it was pretty obvious that the statement "my opinions are actually inarguable facts" was a joke??? Guess not, or some people are just dumb.

I don't know about any domestic battery LaceDarius Dunn has committed, that's unfortunate, but scouts will mostly forget about it after watching this guy average 25 ppg for the season next to a top five pick in Perry Jones. You talk about NBA teams not wanting to "have a post-draft press conference with a marginal NBA talent". You don't consider Anatoly Bose and Amu Saaka and Jon Diebler marginal NBA talents? Give me a break, Dunn is hells of more talented than them and will get drafted in that second round.

As for Greg Smith and the potential mystique, players enter the draft to capitalize on percieved potential ALL THE FARKING TIME. See Daniel Orton last year, sheeit. If Greg Smith production improves this year, and it will with Paul George gone, Smith will be considered a first rounder and would be a fool to wait until 2012.

"Play on the ignorance of players and people you clearly don't like" = doesn't mean anything. Sorry, I only speak English.

Yes, I made predictions of who would go and who wouldn't, but I think for most I based it on something.

And yes, I am saying whoever made the 2011 Mock Draft, be it Aran Smith, Aaron Neville, Samus Aran, Mahatma Ghandi, I don't give a f***, did a pretty amateurish job. I don't care if he is a "professional talent evaluator".

Finally, YES, I tend to think I would have heard of a player if they were really any good: therefore, I am forced to assume that this mythical, infallible "Aran Smith" basically pulled guys like Justin Hurtt and Amu Saaka out of his ass to pad his mock to 60 guys.

Windy City Assassin
I take it as a joke too if

I take it as a joke too if Aran keeps putting Renardo Sidney in the 2nd rd. He's a top 10 pick all day!!!!!

the lake show
U do know done has been

U do know done has been suspened from even attending classes right?

A.M.G.
His name is Dunn not "Done".

His name is Dunn not "Done". And he'll get back on the court.

A.M.G.
I didn't know he'd been

I didn't know he'd been suspended though. Dunn is an &$#%#&@! for hitting a woman, and may have screwed himself for the draft, I'll give you that. But wait and see, this kind of thing gets forgiven remarkably quickly in the world of sports. My guess is he'll only be suspended like a month.

moochiee
I agree with most of the

I agree with most of the things your points. However I think Terrence Jones is good enough to go that high. Also Demetri McCamey is a PG not a combo guard, and if he keeps his productivity level up, I could see him going in the late first round.

Im Your Father
Im Your Father's picture
"As long as Shelby is

"As long as Shelby is eligible and ready to play there is no way he's not a lottery pick."

Josh "Shelby" will not be a lottery pick, because he doesn't exist. Josh SELBY on the other hand may very well be a lottery pick, but I wouldn't take him over Irving or Knight.

llperez
llperez's picture
well AMG, you have called

well AMG, you have called names on everysingle post you have made on this thread, and you accuse me and others of having sand in our vagina? Grow up kid. ANd your stats are an absolute terrible way to prove tyler is highly overrated on here. What if i told you he was injured for the first third of the season and then came off the bench his first couple weeks back never scoring more then 4 points? What if i told you by the time the season finished he was easily the best player on the bruins? All reports out of his summer from many scouts including aran who went and watched him as well as video that i saw was that he improved on his ball handling and shooting dramatically which were his two biggest weakneses last year. God forbid a guy put up minimal stats as a frehsman (westbrook, holiday) or surely they need to stick around forever. WATCH him play and get back to me about his skills before you accuse this site of being morons and talking about how your opinion is unarguable. And based on your posts, i dont think for one second you were joking with that comment about your opinions are facts.

A.M.G.
ok perez, I guess we will

ok perez, I guess we will have to clarify what constitutes having sand in your vagina. Me rationally defending my opinions, and maybe throwing a few choice words at the less constructive critics, does not constitute having sand in my vagina. Honestly, if you guys think that Mock is fine and dandy, then by all means revel in the glory of Aran Smith's glorious gloriousness. Wait with bated breath for Sam Muldrow to be drafted early in the second round.

But I really think my first post contained a lot of valid criticisms of the current mock, and I will address criticisms of my opinions with a combination of rational argumentation and, when I feel like it, petty insults. For example, hadn't heard that LaceDarius Dunn had assaulted a woman, that actually does explain why he's not on the mock, even if I still think he will be drafted.

No, the thing that, to me at least, constitutes someone having sand in their vagina within this thread is your mindless homerish attack on me, simply for the crime of having suggested that, in my opinion, Tyler Honeycutt won't be going as high as Pick 17 if he enters the 2011 Draft. Your over-defensiveness is astounding. For one thing, I never insulted you (unless you count jokingly saying that UCLA fans are butt hurt from a losing season) until after you freaked out on me and said something along the lines of "I don't think I care what you have to say anymore, fu.ck off". Real constructive there buddy.

For seconds, you're acting like I'm saying that Tyler Honeycutt won't ever be an NBA player, when I have made it pretty &$#%#&@! clear I think he will end up coming back for his junior season at UCLA, and becoming a first rounder in 2012, which a UCLA fan should want to happen anyways. You also seem to think that since I'm saying he's a bit overrated coming into the season, I must think he sucks and have all sorts of problems with his game and talent level. Well I don't, OK psycho boy? I've seen Honeycutt play several times on TV (I only get so many UCLA games on TV), and he IS a long, athletic, and skilled SF with good intangibles and the ability to play SG, and he IS going to be an NBA player. I just really, really don't think he'll improve so much this season that he'll suddenly be the 17th overall pick in 2011, which is what that mock is predicting.

To sum up, I was joking about my opinions being inarguable facts. If you can't read tone into the written word, don't blame me. I stand by my opinion that Honeycutt is being a tad overrated, maybe let's talk about some of the other problems with this site's 2011 Mock. Your whinily defensive hyper-focusing on this one player, out of like two dozen I mentioned in my initial post, demonstrates a severe case of vaginal sandiness on your end of this discussion.

So, if all you can do is endlessly &$#%#&@! about any slight against anything to do with UCLA, then please, by all available means, gtf out of this thread.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
A.M.G, are you Mr. 19134 by

A.M.G, are you Mr. 19134 by chance?

A.M.G.
I don't know who that is.

I don't know who that is.

llperez
llperez's picture
every single post you have

every single post you have made you have insulted and spewed garbage you have called people morons. All i asked in the most respective manner possible was how many times you have watched him play and what dont you like. I even said i agreed with your dwilliams annalysis. You couldnt evn do that wihtout throwing even more insults. You are the only one on here that can be labled as psycho or having sand in their vagina. If you want to criticize the picks on this site, plaese have more more sensiviteve skin then to go around name calling and please have more valid reasons for your arguments then "his stats are not that good". Any moron can go read stats.

A.M.G.
Yes, any moron can go read

Yes, any moron can go read stats. Any moron can see 7.2 ppg and know the kid isn't a lock to go lottery the next season. You still seem to think that because I didn't watch every single &$#%#&@! UCLA basketball game last year, I know nothing at all about Tyler Honeycutt. But I do. I've seen him play, he's good, but he's skinny, in my opinion he won't improve enough this season to be a high pick, and will come back to school for one more year. I will not change that opinion no matter how much you badger me, GET OVER IT.

I haven't insulted everyone, just the people who come at me with stupid bull&$#%#&@!. Just RIP Manute, BothTeamsPlayedHard, and then you. But I only insulted you after you told me to fu.ck off and wouldn't shut the frack up about fracking Tyler Honeycutt. I think you can admit you deserved the insults. Come on now. You were acting like you had an entire beachfront property worth of sand in your panties, all over Tyler Honeycutt.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
lmao @Nixon haha! I gave you

lmao @Nixon haha! I gave you a point for that, but the phantom pilfer will get you soon so hide ya women, hide ya kids , hide ya husbands cuz he's taking points from erryboody!

gregoden08
gregoden08's picture
AMG

Dang dude you need to calm down lol. You've insulted everyone so far for really no reason. Yes, the mock is pretty off, but the season hasn't even started yet. And I've seen stanger picks in the actual nba draft than Amu Saaka.

The fact that you think Yancy Gates will be a first round pick is hilarious. Terrence Jones overrated? Lol he is probably the most complete sf in the class. Derrick Williams isn't overrated at all. He reminds me somewhat of David West.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
I think Terrence Jones is an

I think Terrence Jones is an extremely talented prospect who should excel at Kentucky.

And Just to let people know Im driving the Josh Selby bandwagon when uses college basketball as his own playground at Kansas just lemme know if you wanna ride.

A.M.G.
And I guess when you said

And I guess when you said "plaese have more more sensiviteve skin" you were telling me to have thicker skin? LOL, get out of my face you illiterate weiner.

llperez
llperez's picture
yep, you are 12, lol.

yep, you are 12, lol.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
He just called you a weiner?

He just called you a weiner?

A.M.G.
I did. Calling me twelve

I did. Calling me twelve won't change it.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
I love this site, and dig all

I love this site, and dig all the work Aran and the guys put in this, but the mock will get more accurate as the year goes on. They take upside into account very heavily early on, in May of 09' they had Craig Brackins at #7 and when Hassan Whiteside started getting tons of hype they had him as the #2 pick in 2010 for a week or two, but they do a good job and their mock is just something for us to talk about and get player information from at this point in the year ( there's no college, high school, or pro regular season ball going on now!). It's not set in stone or no one is allowed to disagree with it. I think A.M.G. did a good job explaining why he disagreed, but the super defensive name calling fest he decided to follow it with.....not so much.

A.M.G.
Fair enough, Joe Wolf, fair

Fair enough, Joe Wolf, fair enough.

midwestbbscout
midwestbbscout's picture
please

can people stop f*cking calling him Josh Shelby?????

RSS: Syndicate content