This topic contains 36 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar ZachAttack 8 years ago.

• Author
    clw5382
    Participant

Hi guys, 

I was thinking about how good the 2015 Draft class was, so I did a bit of an analysis on allstar level players in each draft going back to 2007 and was surprised by 2011! I am sure it was hailed as an average at best draft but looking at it now it stacks up quite well with the best of them. Take a look. I may have missed someone along the way, but I guess it’s a matter of opinion. 

I have also listed their draft position.

Let me know your thoughts. 

2nd- Durant 

3rd – Horford

9th – Noah

48th – Gasol 

1st – Rose

4th – Westbrook 

5th – Love

24 – Ibaka

35th – Jordan 

1st – Griffin

3rd – Harden

7th – Curry 

9th – Derozan

1st – Wall

5th – Cousins 

9th – Hayward 

1st – Irving

8th – Knight

9th – Walker

11th – Thompson 

15th – Leonard 

30th – Butler 

60th – Thomas

1st – Davis 

6th – Lillard

9th – Drummond 

35th – Green

39th – Middleton 

10th – Mccollum 

15th – Antetokounmpo 

1st – Wiggins

2nd – Parker 

4th – Gordon

7th – Randle 

13th – LaVine 

46 – Clarkson 

1st – Towns

2nd – Russell 

3rd – Okafor 

4th – Porzingis 

11 – Turner 

Some amazing Steals there too! 

Peace =) 

clw5382
    Participant

Sorry I missed D Book from 2015 – he is going to be a star!

clw5382
      Participant

* I should have noted that the 2014 and 2015 listing is based on potential more than actual proven performance. 

clw5382
      Participant

* I should have noted that the 2014 and 2015 listing is based on potential more than actual proven performance. 

clw5382
    Participant

Sorry I missed D Book from 2015 – he is going to be a star!

Thenilonator
    Participant

If you’ve got McCollum in from the 13 draft surely gobert deserves a mention

Thenilonator
    Participant

If you’ve got McCollum in from the 13 draft surely gobert deserves a mention

Tioseco
    Participant

2010 draft. You were right there already with Hayward at 9th and you forgot to include Paul George (10th pick) who is arguably the best and most successful (so far) player from the 2010 draft.

And as solid as he is, I also wouldn’t put Middleton in the same class of the rest of the players you have mentioned (All-stars, future all-stars, franchise players, potential franchise players)

Tioseco
    Participant

2010 draft. You were right there already with Hayward at 9th and you forgot to include Paul George (10th pick) who is arguably the best and most successful (so far) player from the 2010 draft.

And as solid as he is, I also wouldn’t put Middleton in the same class of the rest of the players you have mentioned (All-stars, future all-stars, franchise players, potential franchise players)

Participant

In retrospect the 2011 draft hasn’t been all that weak after all. Their was less obvious talent, but guys like Kawai Leonard, Klay Thompson, and Jimmy Butler developed far more than most people would have ever imagined. They are a testament to work ethic and player development programs.

Participant

In retrospect the 2011 draft hasn’t been all that weak after all. Their was less obvious talent, but guys like Kawai Leonard, Klay Thompson, and Jimmy Butler developed far more than most people would have ever imagined. They are a testament to work ethic and player development programs.

connybuckets
    Participant

Tristan Thompson should be on the list

connybuckets
    Participant

connybuckets
    Participant

connybuckets
    Participant

phila9012
    Participant

Reggie Jackson should be on it.

Kanter, T thompson, valenciunis, vucevic, faried, parsons, Harris all got 12 plus million a year contracts. They aren’t all stars but they very good players.

phila9012
    Participant

Reggie Jackson should be on it.

Kanter, T thompson, valenciunis, vucevic, faried, parsons, Harris all got 12 plus million a year contracts. They aren’t all stars but they very good players.

holefillers1
    Participant

Thad Young is a good player borderline All star from 07′ draft. Also Nic Batum from the 08′ draft and obviously PG-13.  I disagree with the recent draft projections, Russel, Gordon, LaVine, Clarkson, Randle.

holefillers1
    Participant

Thad Young is a good player borderline All star from 07′ draft. Also Nic Batum from the 08′ draft and obviously PG-13.  I disagree with the recent draft projections, Russel, Gordon, LaVine, Clarkson, Randle.

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

but Really Solid NBA Pro’s…… who will be around a long time……. (IMHO)………

2007: Mike Conley #4; Thad Young #12; Rodney Stuckey #15;

2008: Danilo Gallinari #6; Brooks Lopez #10; Serge Ibaka #24; Nicolaus Batum #25;

2009: Tyreke Evans #4;  Brandon Jennings #10; Jru Holiday #17; Jeff TEague #19;

2010: Derrick Favors #3; ****Paul George #10****; Hassan Whiteside #33; 

2011: Kenneth Farried #22: Nikola Mirotic #23; Reggie Jackson #24;

2012: Bradley Beal #3; Harrison Barnes #7; Draymond Green #35;

2013: Victor Oladipo #2; Nerlens Noel #6; Rudy Gobert #27;

2014: Rodney Hood #23; 

2015: Emmanuel Mudiay #7; Devin Booker #13;              

ItsVictorOladipo
      Participant

Jae Crowder might deserve a shout out for 2012. I’m surprised he only got 1 third place vote for DPOY and he contributes offensively too with 14.2 PPG and 122 three pointers. 

ItsVictorOladipo
      Participant

Jae Crowder might deserve a shout out for 2012. I’m surprised he only got 1 third place vote for DPOY and he contributes offensively too with 14.2 PPG and 122 three pointers. 

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

but Really Solid NBA Pro’s…… who will be around a long time……. (IMHO)………

2007: Mike Conley #4; Thad Young #12; Rodney Stuckey #15;

2008: Danilo Gallinari #6; Brooks Lopez #10; Serge Ibaka #24; Nicolaus Batum #25;

2009: Tyreke Evans #4;  Brandon Jennings #10; Jru Holiday #17; Jeff TEague #19;

2010: Derrick Favors #3; ****Paul George #10****; Hassan Whiteside #33; 

2011: Kenneth Farried #22: Nikola Mirotic #23; Reggie Jackson #24;

2012: Bradley Beal #3; Harrison Barnes #7; Draymond Green #35;

2013: Victor Oladipo #2; Nerlens Noel #6; Rudy Gobert #27;

2014: Rodney Hood #23; 

2015: Emmanuel Mudiay #7; Devin Booker #13;              

BlueRivers25
    Participant

So far looks like a weak class. Outside of CJ McCollum and the Greek Freak, which player from that class will develop into an All-Star type player?

TheWhiteLion
      Participant

Gobert. 

Schroder. 

Oladipo. 

And i think porter has potential

TheWhiteLion
      Participant

Gobert. 

Schroder. 

Oladipo. 

And i think porter has potential

BlueRivers25
    Participant

So far looks like a weak class. Outside of CJ McCollum and the Greek Freak, which player from that class will develop into an All-Star type player?

CavFanPR
    Participant

The 2011 draft might just be the strongest one of all you listed. I can name more than 10 players from that draft that are regulars just on top of my head and either made an all star or could soon make one

Kyrie Irving
    Enes Kanter
    Tristan Thomspon
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Kemba Walker
    Brandon Knight
    Klay Thompson
    Kawhi Leonard
    Reggie Jackson
    Jimmy Butler
    Chandler Parsons

Those are the ones I remembered without seeing the draft page from that year. Very strong draft class indeed.

CavFanPR
    Participant

The 2011 draft might just be the strongest one of all you listed. I can name more than 10 players from that draft that are regulars just on top of my head and either made an all star or could soon make one

Kyrie Irving
    Enes Kanter
    Tristan Thomspon
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Kemba Walker
    Brandon Knight
    Klay Thompson
    Kawhi Leonard
    Reggie Jackson
    Jimmy Butler
    Chandler Parsons

Those are the ones I remembered without seeing the draft page from that year. Very strong draft class indeed.

chrispaulwall
    Participant

Pretty much every draft class sans 2013 has been very good for the past 4/5 years. And 2013 had Oladipo, Giannis, Gobert, Noel, McCollum, KCP, Adams, Dieng so its not like its a complete dud. All of those guys are either future stars or really solid rotational players

ZachAttack
      Participant

and Burke… If he gets on a team that needs a spark off the bench. He can be that instant offense. The Jazz just have no use for him. I honestly feel kinda bad for him

ZachAttack
      Participant

and Burke… If he gets on a team that needs a spark off the bench. He can be that instant offense. The Jazz just have no use for him. I honestly feel kinda bad for him

chrispaulwall
    Participant

Pretty much every draft class sans 2013 has been very good for the past 4/5 years. And 2013 had Oladipo, Giannis, Gobert, Noel, McCollum, KCP, Adams, Dieng so its not like its a complete dud. All of those guys are either future stars or really solid rotational players

I am an idiot
    Participant

Although the list is not perfect, it does give a window into the odds of the draft process. For the nine years listed, here are the chances of someone getting on the list by type of pick:

PickProbability
    #178%
    #2 – #531%
    #6 – #1022%
    #11 – #1511%
    #16+2%

All of the #1 picks except for Oden in ’07 and Bennett in ’13 are on the list. Oden gets a pass due to injuries. Since ’13 was the weakest draft by far, it does give the Cavs a little (just a little) break for such an awful pick.

What I haven’t looked at is WHY these later round player became successful. Was it over-looked talent, the right organization, their own work ethic or just plain luck? If it is largely the first two, then you would expect to see a few clubs with a much higher percentage of the later round successes. If the latter two, then the successes would be scattered around the league.

I am an idiot
    Participant

Although the list is not perfect, it does give a window into the odds of the draft process. For the nine years listed, here are the chances of someone getting on the list by type of pick:

PickProbability
    #178%
    #2 – #531%
    #6 – #1022%
    #11 – #1511%
    #16+2%

All of the #1 picks except for Oden in ’07 and Bennett in ’13 are on the list. Oden gets a pass due to injuries. Since ’13 was the weakest draft by far, it does give the Cavs a little (just a little) break for such an awful pick.

What I haven’t looked at is WHY these later round player became successful. Was it over-looked talent, the right organization, their own work ethic or just plain luck? If it is largely the first two, then you would expect to see a few clubs with a much higher percentage of the later round successes. If the latter two, then the successes would be scattered around the league.

ZachAttack
      Participant

Well, Isaiah Thomas went to the Kings… so it’s definitely not all the right organization.

ZachAttack
      Participant

Well, Isaiah Thomas went to the Kings… so it’s definitely not all the right organization.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login