Is the 2011 Draft class better or worse than the 2000 draft class?

meirmeir13
Is the 2011 Draft class better or worse than the 2000 draft class?

I consider the 2000 draft class as weak and lacks any STAR talent. I am starting to get the same feel from the 2011 draft class.

Top ten 2000 draft picks include

Kenyon martin

,Stromile Swift,

Darius Miles,

Marcus Fizer

,Mike MIller

,Demmar Johnson

, Chris Mihm

,jamal crawford

,Joel Przbilla,

Keyon Dooling

ProudGrandpa
ProudGrandpa's picture
Your first point

+

DanEboy
DanEboy's picture
We will know in a couple of

We will know in a couple of years....but the 2000 draft was awful.

Tha_Prince
Tha_Prince's picture
Hard to say now, but looking

Hard to say now, but looking at the prospects and taking into account all the players who have dropped out it truly is going to be a weak draft in terms of star power.

But if your interested in getting some solid roles players and contributors off the bench this draft has some pretty intriguing pieces.

The only players I feel like have All-Star potential are Irving & DWilliams.

Overall, in a few years down the road when we actually get to see some of the players in this draft develop I think it will be a stronger draft class than in 2000. I think injuries played a huge part in the effectiveness of that draft class. This hopefully isn't the case for the 2011 class but it's hard to predict now like I said.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
Only time will tell. far too

Only time will tell. far too soon to pass judgement.

RichieRebel
It may not have much star

It may not have much star power like 2000 but I think there will be a lot of solid players out of this draft, More solid than 2000 anyway.

cward23
impossible to say because

impossible to say because they haven\'t played a game. this class has the potential to be like the class of two years ago. Not for sure stars but pretty deep with guys who can contribute

AaronMck91
The 2011 class is not nearly

The 2011 class is not nearly as bad as the 2000 class. Kyrie Irving is a future all star. Derrick Williams Kemba Walker Enes Kanter Leonard Biyombo and Burks will be good players .

BasterdInABasket
BasterdInABasket's picture
lol

ward was at -1 pts when i was on page one then i went to page 2 and he was at -37

DanEboy
DanEboy's picture
That was the most epic fail

That was the most epic fail of all time. I went back and gave a +1 for every post because you deserve it.

Tha_Prince
Tha_Prince's picture
Epic rack up of negatives

Epic rack up of negatives lol. Sorry to see that bro, I have no idea when I try to edit my posts it says access denied as well.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
This draft is full of players

This draft is full of players that might be better in the pros than college players..

I think a guy like Norris Cole will surprise alot of people...Marshon Brooks shot bad at Providence but he could be a Micheal Finley type in the pros....

At the start of the season alot of folks were high on Terrance Jones,i think he'll be better in the pros becuz of his all around skills...Alec Burks has the look of a very good player or he could be a bust..

Kyle Singler could be a nice player if he gets with the right team...

Chandler Parsons has a great all around game which is better suited for the pros,but i dont see him as a superstar,but a player in the Luke Walton mold..

TheLastWord
Better, Irving and Williams

Better, Irving and Williams will fetch at least a couple all star appearances. Chances are one of the big euros will turn out good as well. Which one? Now thats anyones guess.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
I think it's a little early

I think it's a little early to make comparisons. People were dubbing Darius Miles as the next Kevin Garnett and Kenyon Martin was one of the most athletic college players I've ever seen( pre injury that is) and Stromile Swift wasn't far behind. Marcus Fizer was a versitile Carlos Boozer meets Charles Barkely style power forward and Chris Mihm was a skilled 7 footer. DeMarr Johnson was a do it all small forward who could play point just to name a few.

People in 2000 didn't view this draft as very strong, but it was just a bunch of guys with a lot of upside that didn't really pan out. You can look back 11 years later and dub this a lame draft and you're right, but in 2000 you could look at the lottery and think you still could have a hand full of future all-stars in the lotto.

Yeah, Mike Miller won that sorry ROY award averaging l2 ppg, but..

Kenyon averaged 12 and 7, Fizer 9.5 and 4.5, Miles 9.4 and 6, Mihm 7.6 and 4.7, and I remember Jamal Crawford having a lot of buzz although he didn't produce much as a rookie because he came out as a freshman. Not bad numbers for guys who were viewed as potential players as rookies. Many put up better stats than Derrick Favors, Ed Davis, Larry Sanders, and Aminu and no one is counting them out right now.

In retrospect the 2000 draft goes down as one of the weakest in recent history, but 2011 is weak for a completely different reason. Not only lack of sure fire stars, but I'd say a lack of "potential" players that the 2000 lottery was full of. If those players you mentioned reached their potential or even somewhat close this draft wouldn't be regarded as nearly as weak, while the 2011 draft may have half the lottery end up being guys who's "potential" and projected impact is fringe starters and 6th men.

meirmeir13
Draft Class

A draft full of role players just cant cut it now a days. There is so much talent around the world that the draft should be full with guys that can compete and change around a franchise. In this draft especially you see no since of certainty. One day Bismack by some is regarded the top prospect and the next he's a late first rounder.

Hell you even have Kemba Walker a great college player but who every GM has listed a 3 third string point guard at best is being drafted in Top Ten.

Hopefully all these kids are sharp after the lockout

Josh_Wolves
This has the potential to be

This has the potential to be 2000ish. 2000 was HISTORICALLY terrible. I think this year Derrick Williams and Kyrie Irving have potential to be good. I think there will/ could be more players like Mike Miller or Jamal Crawford. Good roll players, not great. With that being said, theres usually a player or two missed in the second round ala Micheal Redd. For a while, Redd saved that draft from being a complete disaster

Josh_Wolves
This has the potential to be

This has the potential to be 2000ish. 2000 was HISTORICALLY terrible. I think this year Derrick Williams and Kyrie Irving have potential to be good. I think there will/ could be more players like Mike Miller or Jamal Crawford. Good roll players, not great. With that being said, theres usually a player or two missed in the second round ala Micheal Redd. For a while, Redd saved that draft from being a complete disaster

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Exactly my point, no one was

Exactly my point, no one was talking, at the time, that the class of 2000 was a class of role players. They were un proven guys with serious upside. It wasn't a phenom class by any means, but when Chris Mihm was drafted people were talking about his upside and how because of his soft touch and good footwork could be a starting center in the league.

In 2011 people are talking about Kemba Walker or Jimmer going in the same spot as Mihm in the lottery, but their upside being a bench spark or fringe starter. Same goes for Marcus Morris, the talent in this class even if it's percieved talent ( which is often the case when projecting upside and potential) isn't even there.

There is a harsh realism when analyzing this class that I haven't seen in the past 10 years. Maybe its accurate, or maybe these guys will prove us all wrong much like many flops with huge upside have done, but it's certainly unique.

omphalos
omphalos's picture
Williams and Irving are the

Williams and Irving are the stars, Kanter probably belongs in that realm if he can stay healthy too, and let's not forget about Burks, Motie and Brandon Knight as players with big upside, same with Vesely, Valanciunas. Plenty of upside around, and Kemba is being slept on as a 3rd string PG in my opinion.

Yes, there aren't too many players with All-NBA potential, but there are plenty of guys with the potential to start in the NBA. Let's not go calling it a bad draft because of who's not in it at the expense of who actually is.

r377
r377's picture
While this draft isn't too

While this draft isn't too good there is no way it will ever be as bad as 2000. In fact i am not sure if there will ever be a class as bad as 2000

Jlv2012
This draft class has tremendous potential

to be terrible.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Looking at that top 10 from

Looking at that top 10 from 11 years ago, it's amazing to think how few of those guys are still in the NBA as they are only in their early 30's. From the top of my head only 5 of the top 10 are still in the NBA and I think only about 3 guys from that draft ever made All Star games and one was Jamaal Magloire and maybe only two guys have over 10,000 career points ( Redd and Crawford).

K-Mart of course suffered badly from injuries when he moved to Denver and Turko,Mo-Petersen etc became good role players but the lack of star talent in this draft was very marked compared to the star studded 1999 draft and even the 2001 draft which featured a few high picked busts but also included several more All Stars and guys who are still major contributors to play off teams this year.

Looking at this year's draft trying to pick All Stars so early is difficult and even Irving if he is stuck behind CP3, D-Will, D-Rose(MVP), Rondo, Wall etc will have hard competition to make AS games in the near future. Derrick Williams could put up good stats and get a call up a la Blake Griffin and K-Love but outside of those two, it would probably be a random pick from one of the Euro bigs or one of Coach Cal's one and done mob.

RSS: Syndicate content