This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Stanford hoops 14 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    the barron
    Participant

The Big 12 has always put top notch talent in the NBA Draft. For example Kevin Durant, Micheal Beasley and this years number one overall pick, Blake Griffin. So what does the Big 12 have to offer for next year. The Big 12 only had two first round picks in this years draft (Griffin and DeMarre Carrol of Mizzou) but 2010 looks much better for this conference. With possible first round picks like Cole Aldrich, Willie Warren, Craig Brackins and Damion James all going back to school plus the addition of top recruits Avery Bradley and Xavier Henry this conference should have 6-8 first round propects next year. My top prospect is Cole Aldrich. He could have been a lottery pick this year and this guy has improved rapidly ever since his coming out party in the 2008 final four. So these are my top ten prospects in the Big 12:

1. Cole Aldrich 6’10 C Kansas
    2. Craig Brackins 6’10 PF Iowa St.
    3. Avery Bradley 6’3 SG Texas
    4. Willie Warren 6’4 PG/SG Oklahoma
    5. Damion James 6’7 SF Texas
    6. Xavier Henry 6’5 SG Kansas
    7. James Andersen 6’6 SG Oklahoma St
    8. Sherron Collins 5’11 PG Kansas
    9. Dexter Pittman 6’11 C Texas
    10. Jordan Hamilton 6’7 SF/SG Texas

Hale
    Participant

I don’t think Aldrich is that good, I would have him below Brackins for sure, and maybe Warren and Bradley. Good list though.

Stanford hoops
    Participant

i used to say the same about cole but hes gotten better every year so far…sleeper guy Rayes Gallegos…another guy i worked out with who is going to nebraska..a lil undersized for the sg but still growing great one on one moves and jumps out the gym…good mid-long range also

Knicksboy34
    Participant

Do you think Jordan Hamilton can be a 1 and done guy?

Hale
    Participant

Who are you asking?

JoeWolf1

Dexter Pittman = Kevin Bookout, number 9, really? I’d even put Obi Muonelo, Denis Clemente, and Jacob Pullen above him and that isn’t saying a whole lot

RickyRubio9
    Participant

is a beast and after losing some weight, he’s getting even better. Don’t Hate. Just wait.

Knicksboy34
    Participant

everyone, i had him at 22 in my 2010 mock eariler but i took him out.

Hale
    Participant

I say no, too much talent on that team trying to prove something (James, Pittman, Bradley). He could come out after his sophomore year though.

JoeWolf1

Fine, yeah, we will have to wait, but fat power forwards dont have the greatest track record, there is a lot more Tractor Traylor in him that Zach Randolph

Stanford hoops
    Participant

wow..have u watched dexter pittman actually play..tractor traylor..really there games arent that similar pittmans is more similar to zachs with the post moves the up and unders on top of that he gets much better every year..a very good sign

joe2BA
    Participant

great list! few minor adjustments

1. Cole Aldrich 6’10 C Kansas
    2. Willie Warren 6’4 PG/SG Oklahoma
    3. Craig Brackins 6’10 PF Iowa St.
    4. Avery Bradley 6’3 SG Texas
    5. Xavier Henry 6’5 SG Kansas
    6. Damion James 6’7 SF Texas
    7. James Andersen 6’6 SG Oklahoma St
    8. Sherron Collins 5’11 PG Kansas
    9. Dexter Pittman 6’11 C Texas
    10.Tyshawn Taylor 6’3 PG/SG Kansas NOBODY PAYS ANY ATTENTION TO THIS GUY ESPECIALLY THIS WEBSITE!!!: Most overlooked player in the country right now. Jayhawks third leading scorer as a freshman last year. Ever since making the U19 USA squad and standing out in practice and games (lead team usa in scoring first game), scouts have taken a notice. DRAFT EXPRESS has him at the 17th pick in this years draft and Andy Katz had him under the 2010 draft players to watch. If you haven’t heard of him or are just surprised, take a look at his profile on draft express. If you don’t know now you know!

cookielogic
      Participant

yeah, right on with the tyshawn taylor talk. he was a nice surprise last season and word is that he is improving daily. great athlete who can play a little of both guard positions. not bad for a guy who only averaged 10.0 ppg as a high school senior.

goodsonthe
    Participant

Great job at correcting the original list. Willie Warren though is ahead of even Cole Aldrich and should challenge Wall for the #1 pick next year.

Muggsy
    Participant

Yeah with both Griffins out of Oklahoma. It’s now the Willie Warren show, he will shine very bright. I’d say he tops the list. I think he will be a top 5 prospect/draft pick.

joe2BA
      Participant

I will agree that Willie has more upside than Cole. But that National Championship for us next year will look mighty good for Cole’s draft stock next year!

Muggsy
    Participant

Kentucky is looking like an early favorite to win the title. But I’d rather any Big12 team win.

joe2BA
    Participant

Every major sports publication in America has KU as the preseason #1. Any rational person realizes their awesome combination of talent, experience, and depth makes them the early favorite to win it all. Sure, Kentucky had an awesome recruiting class and will post a talented starting lineup including Wall, Patterson, and Cousins. But they lack experience as players, teammates, and components of Calipari’s system. Not to mention their obvious lack of perimeter shooting. KU on the other hand return one of the nations PROVEN best at the center and point guard position (two of the most significant positions in basketball), A talented returning cast that includes rising sophomores in Marcus and Tyshawn Taylor, and a top five recruiting class (if you count Arizona’s 7 foot transfer whitey, second only to Kentucky’s class) highlighted by Xavier Henry who fits the ONE position our team needed. . I’ve been a KU fan for a long time and this is the DEEPEST maybe the most talented Kansas team on paper. However, we will find out if they are as good as 08’s or 96’s team.

cookielogic
    Participant

1. Cole Aldrich–less than 3 ppg as a freshman up to 15 ppg as a soph, plus rebound and blocked shots…difference maker. just needs to know what he is going to do with the ball before he catches it.
    2. Willie Warren–great scorer, shoots from anywhere that he is unguarded, will have a chance to lead the conference in scoring but will he be hurt by the lack of Big Blake Griffin being double teamed.
    3. Craig Brackins–scored something like 42 points against KU last year, can score in many ways…maybe leads conference in scoring on a bad team.
    4. Damion James–maybe should have entered the draft after his soph year as DJ Augustin helped his numbers but the Longhorns are fairly loaded and James could star on a team that makes a run.
    5. Xavier Henry–superstar? maybe but unproven thus far. has the talent, will not be the go-to guy so his numbers may not impress some. his numbers should impress based on realativity.
    6. Sherron Collins–senior leader PG, scores, assists and leads. not the best defender (Ben Woodside lit him up). but, should be able to deliver consistently when called upon.
    7. James Anderson–great prototypical shooting guard…scorer who can hit the big shots…should be a little better team as coach Ford has a year under his belt.
    8. Avery Bradley–super athletic, scorer and defender. should be what Texas needs to fill a backcourt void.
    9. Denis Clemente–competitor and scorer…compliments Jacob Pullen well…put up 44 on Texas last year. does need to keep his head in the game and not get caught up in cheap shots like the punch to the back of Tyrel Reed’s head last year which no officials saw…anyhow…
    10. TyShawn Taylor–athletic and developing quickly…plays both guard spots and has long arms to play defense with. he will surprise many next year…

honorable mentions…Cory Higgins (Colorado), Obi Muonelo (OK St.), Wally Judge (K St.), Marcus Morris (KU), LaceDarius Dunn (Baylor), Jon Roberson (TX Tech), Jacob Pullen (K St.), Dexter Pittman (Texas)

JNixon
    Participant

That is a good list. You are the only person that not sleeping on Kstate. Watch out for the Wildcats!

Muggsy
    Participant

joe2BA, that was my personal opinion. Write another useless paragraph about what we already all know please.

jojososa5
    Participant

Will be one of tha most consistent players n tha big 10, if u noticed he has gotten better every year and he has developed some good post moves last year and he is a good free throw shooter

Hale
    Participant

I think you meant Big 12.

Stanford hoops
    Participant

very good point about kansas and experience..kentucky freshmen have to prove what they can do against better competition first something the jaywaks players have already done

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login