2010-2011 NBA Rookie of the Year Preview

White Chocolate
White Chocolate's picture
2010-2011 NBA Rookie of the Year Preview

This years Rookie of the Year chase is a three-man race between John Wall, Blake Griffin, and DeMarcus Cousins to some, but there are some sleepers who could sneak in and win it.

My Rookie of the Year preview:

10. Gordon Hayward - Some believe that he was drafted to replace sharp shooter Kyle Korver for the Jazz. He was drafted 9th overall and a lot of people called the pick a reach. At 6-8 Hayward has very good size for a small forward. He will come off the bench for the Jazz and for the most part I believe that he will be productive no matter how little or how much playing time he gets. Hayward has a nice shot too which allows him to play the shooting guard if he wants to and I think Sloan will play him at the two for part of the game. He could sneak into Utah's starting line-up if he performs well. If he gets enough playing time he could sneak in the top 5 rookie rankings.

9. Derrick Favors - Favors might not start with the additon of Troy Murphy to the Nets, but if he can out perform Murphy he will be put into the starting line-up. Like every other lottery pick he has very high expectations especially by being drafted 3rd overall. He has great potential and if given the playing time I think he could do pretty good. at 6-10 he has very good size for a power forward. If he does well with the playing time that he is given he will be mentioned as one of the top rookies, but he has to prove to everybody that he is worthy to be in the starting line-up. Until he proves that he is better than Murphy he I don't know if he is worthy to be in the top 5 and he will stay at #9.

8. James Anderson - Anderson has a very good chance to be a good player off the bench for the Spurs. He was drafted 20th overall which probably turn out to be a steal for the Spurs. He has a nice jump shot and depending on the playing time he gets which I think will be quite a lot for a rookie he will be in the chase for Rookie of the Year. The Spurs have a very solid back-court for the future of George Hill and James Anderson. At 6-6 Anderson has pretty good size for a shooting guard and he will be a sharp shooter off the bench for the Spurs. If given the playing time he is one of my sleepers for rookie of the year.

7. Ed Davis - With Bosh's departure Davis will be given a lot of playing time for the getgo. If he performs well he will be in the starting line-up. Drafted 13th overall which was a bad pick by the Raptors. The Raptors aren't going to be a very good team this year, but they sure do have some talent for the future with DeRozan and Davis. at 6-10 Davis has very good size for a power forward he just needs to put on a little weight. Another one of my sleepers for rookie of the year along with Anderson. I expect good things from davis this coming year.

6. Greg Monroe - Monroe doesn't have very much competition at Detroit so by the end of the year he could easily be in the starting line-up. Drafted 7th overall he will have some high expectations. At 6-10 he has very good size for a power forward and he might even play some center at detroit if they need him too. He could/should have been drafted higher. Like a lot of people I expect a lot of good things from Monroe. Another sleeper for rookie of the year if he can play well with the amount of playing time that he will be given.

5. Wesley Johnson - Playing at Minnesota Johnson won't have very much competition for a starting spot, but he has to prove that he is worthy to start. Drafted 4th overall he has very high expectations. He has to produce with the playing time he is given. At 6-8 he has very good size for a small forward and a shooting guard. I expect some good things from Johnson in Minnesota I am not sure if he can win rookie of the year, but he will be one of the top 10 rookies at the end of the year.

4. Evan Turner - He will be playing the two at Philly with Iguodala at the three. Drafted 2nd overall he has high expectations from everybody. At 6-7 he has very good size for a shooting guard. He will be given a lot of playing time so I expect some good things from him. He has a nice jump shot and he can bring the ball up the court if he needs too. He can be mentioned for rookie of the year if he can mesh well with Iguodala and if he performs.

3. Blake Griffin - He will start for the Clippers and he will have the highest expectations next to John wall because he was the 1st pick. He has very good size at 6-10 for the power forward position. I think that he will stay in contention for rookie of the year all year round, if Wall or Cousins don't produce or get injured Griffing will be considered for the rookie of the year award. Some people have Griffin as the favorite to win rookie of the year, but he has to prove that he is worthy of winning it.

1b. DeMarcus Cousins - He will start for the Kings and he has a very good point guard to feed him in Tyreke Evans. Drafted 5th overall he could be the steal of the draft. At 6-11 he has good size for the power forward positio nand even the center position. I am expecting great things from Cousins this coming year and he will be the 1st or 2nd best rookie this year at the end of the year. If he can put up great numbers on a regular basis and he keeps his attitude down he will wi nrookie of the year.

1a. John Wall - He might have the highest expectations of them all being drafted 1st overall. Wall will be the starting point guard from the getgo and I expect great numbers from him like I do from Cousins. He has great size for a point guard at 6-4 and it will be a tie with Cousins to win rookie of the year throughout the year. If he can keep his turnovers down and produce he will win rookie of the year. He will have the ball in his hands throughout the game and he has to produce and make smart choices. A lot of people's favorite to win rookie of the year.

Honorable Mention

Paul George
Lance Stpehenson
Patrick Patterson

I think either Griffin, Cousins, or Wall will win rookie of the year, but like I have mentioned above there are some sleepers and darkhorses above who can sneak in and win the rookie of the year award. It will be exciting to watch all of these rookies battle it out for the rookie of the year award.

Wreckless
Wreckless's picture
Cousins may start but I see

Cousins may start but I see him getting around 28 minutes a game. The NBA has a long season so I dont know about Cousins. If can dominate like he did in college he would be the ROY in my books.

Turner was my early vote but with a horrible summer league, people started to question his abilities. But im not. I think he may start off a little slow, but will eventally catch up and have a great NBA rookie season.

Griffin has been around the atmosphere a year. And now I think hes ready to produce and be the face of that franchise. Hopefully they feed him the ball so he can produce.

And what do you mean Johnson wont have to fight for a starters spot? Minnys pretty deep in The SF position. Unless you have him starting at the 2 spot then maybe. They have Beasley and Brewer so what are you talking about?

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Ed Davis wont start, Wesley

Ed Davis wont start, Wesley Johnson wont sart, Favors wont start until Murphy gets injured (and he will).

Heres the thing, Turner should be further down ion the list since he will most definitely play off the ball, sort of like Harden. I expect him to have a Harden type season but produce more with rebounds and assists. The 76ers have Williams, Holiday and Igoudala already handling the ball, they have Brand and Speights who will draw post ups, not good for Turners stats.

Wesley Johnson wont get as many minutes as expected. Love will dominate PF minutes and Beasley will dominate SF minutes. Webster will get a shot at SG and Brewer needs minutes somewhere. Also Johson lacks the dribbling abillity to play SG minutes.

Splitter really should be on this list.

George maybe top 5 since Pacers is basically like a tryout team for the future this year. He will put up shots at bad percentages and be aloud to develop at his pace. Dont forget Geroge can play SG, SF and PF.\

Hayward will be a valuable role player in this league but nothing more. He will make great utility plays and do things that dont show up on the stat sheet. There is no reason why he should be on this list ahead of Splitter, George, Sanders, and a bunch of players.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Lol ive also been working on

Lol ive also been working on a list..

cuseflynn10
cuseflynn10's picture
Johnson

Johnsons starting at the 2 with Brewer at the 3. Ellington is Johnson's backup, Webster is Brewer's backup, and Beasley is Love's backup. I don't see Beasley dominating the SF minutes. Luckily Minnesota has flexibility at the 2-3-4 positions. They have 4 or 5 players who can play 2 of 3SG/SF/PF positions. I think the playing time will be pretty even.

Chewy
Chewy's picture
Wesley

had a couple yrs of college ball under his belt compared to most of the other top picks. I think because of his age people are expecting him to be NBA ready quicker than some other prospects.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
I will be surprised if

I will be surprised if Minnesota wins a singlee game with this as their starting lineup.
Flynn
Johnson
Brewer Love
Milicic

Wreckless
Wreckless's picture
Man that is a horrible

Man that is a horrible lineup.

700boy
700boy's picture
?

yea i think its a 3 man race between wall, cousins, or griffin

700boy
700boy's picture
?

yea i think its a 3 man race between wall, cousins, or griffin

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Wes Johnson is NOT a 2.

Wes Johnson is NOT a 2.

sammybuckeye13
sammybuckeye13's picture
@Ohcanada

Beasley is gonna start for the TWolves.

And according to John Hollinger, Dalembert is going to be the King's starting C, which I could see at least at the beginning of the season.

yaboymal
blake griffin

If he comes back as explosive as he was I believe he is the favorite along with wall.

cuseflynn10
cuseflynn10's picture
Johnson

Johnson's a 6'7 205 SHOOTING GUARD. He shot 50% from the field, 42% from 3, and 77% from the line. He has the height of a small forward or tall shooting guard, and has pretty good speed and agility. Anyone saying that it'll be hard for him to adjust to man is just flat out wrong. He played zone for 1 year and man for his other 2. He's athletic enough to compete at the small foward, but he's better off as a shooting guard because he's only 205 pounds. Look at Evan Turner who's also 6'7, but 215 pounds. Johnson's basically Kobe and Iguodala's size just an inch taller. And they both are SG's in my opinion. LeBron has 40 pounds on Wes. I'm not saying Wes can't be a small foward since he'll likely see time there, I'm just saying he's more suited to be a NBA Shooting guard. And FYI to everyone Wes Johnson was the oldest guy drafted this past year or the oldest guy on his team.

gregoden08
gregoden08's picture

He doesn't have the ball handling ability to be a sg.

Da1pot
Da1pot's picture
roy

Who you guys got for darkhorse candidates?(i.e. Darren Collison, Marcus Thornton). Some guys that could sneak in to the top 10 in my opinion that are somewhat unheralded are:
1. Tiago Splitter- will be the Spurs starting center, could lead all rookies in rebounding, based on how much he plays
2. Damion James- Could play some pretty good minutes and his versatility is impressive
3.Dominique Jones- Good scorer could essentially be this years Marcus Thornton

EzeEd
If everyone stays.....

healthy, the ROTY will be between Wall and Griffin. That is why they both were the 1st pick in their drafts. Other rooks will play well, but those two will be waaay better than the rest. Don't underestimate the importance of Griffin, although not playing, just being around the league for a year-------that is a HUGE advantage.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Yeah I wouldn't play Johnson

Yeah I wouldn't play Johnson at SG. Not enough shot-creating ability.

I think Wall will be Rookie of the Year, with Blake Griffin, DeMarcus Cousins, and Evan Turner being right there in the thick of things.

UofAxWildcats
lol of course he has demarcus

lol of course he has demarcus cousins as number 1b ..

Ang Puti Lalaki
Ang Puti Lalaki's picture
Tiago Splitter

is my choice, right now for R.O.Y.

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
ya blake griffin has had 2

ya blake griffin has had 2 years of college, summer league and some preseason, plus a whole year of weight training with an nba team. combine that with his hard work and you could easily have the rookie of the year. john wall is amazing and will have a good year but griffin, imo, should be the favorite as of now.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
You know what? I don't hate

You know what? I don't hate this.

I respect him having Hayward 10th instead of 6th. He could make a impact.

Johnson's a 6'7 205 SHOOTING GUARD

No he's not. He played the 3 and 4 for SU last season. He will be playing the 3 and Brewer will be playing the 2.

RSS: Syndicate content