2009 draft called worst in 25 years. Is it?

maravich44
2009 draft called worst in 25 years. Is it?

I read that an ESPN commentator called this year's draft the worst in 25 years. I couldn't believe it. I admit, it's not particularly strong or deep and doesn't have a lot of potential franchise players, but remember the drafts of '89, '90 and '95? I think this year will go down as mediocre, but certainly won't be remembered as the worst in 25 years. I do think next years will be significantly better though.

fliptonn
no way. 2000 nba draft paved

no way.
2000 nba draft paved way to greats like ummm...uhhh...kenyon martin was an allstar once right?

gatorheels
gatorheels's picture
Worst draft in 25 years????

Worst draft in 25 years???? Not even close, that is ridiculous. I think this draft will be remembered for the draft that shocked people. Tons of players in this draft will have long successful careers in the league.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
25 years

I think that is kind of an overstatement, as I think this class is probably better than 1986 or 2001, could even be better than 2001. I think as far as star power, this draft might be lacking, but I too expect some good role players out of this draft, and a lot of starting point guards.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
People Earlier

For people earlier, I meant that this class is likely better than 1986, 2000 and comparable to 2001. As far as 1988, 1989 go, they were down years, and this class will probably be better than those as well. As far as the last few years go, as a whole, I think this is a weaker class and a huge drop off talent wise from last year. 2005 was not an incredible class, but I do not see PG's in this class becoming Chris Paul or Deron Williams. 1986 was just a sad year, and 2000 was an awful way to start off the new decade. So, overstatement means making a statement that is is over exaggerated, under statement means it is under exaggerated (like, Michael Olalowandi being sort of a bust is an understatement). I try to read as closely as possible, suggest that others do as well.

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
We dont know yet. I dont

We dont know yet. I dont think so the 86 and 00 drafts were terrible.

I comapre this draft to 93....go look that draft up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_NBA_Draft

Webber/Griffin
Bradly/Thabeet
Penny/Harden
Baker/Hill

I mean it's kinda indentical to me

auber
auber's picture
are you saying Rubio is

are you saying Rubio is Isiah Rider Knicks boy?

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
LOL....no Talent

LOL....no

Talent Wise....Either DeRozan or Evans is Rider...

Houston/ Curry?

Cassell/Maynor?

CorningKingsFan31
CorningKingsFan31's picture
this draft is a joke`

there is one sure fire guy. and his name is blake griffin. besides that, everyone has "tremendous upside potential" which i hate, jeff teague probably has the next best chance to be a superstar in this draft. he is a big physical guy like deron williams in utah, thats about it for sure-fire right now guys.

piratejp

No draft comes close to 1989 in terms of stinkyness from top to bottom. My guess is there will be a few solid players, possibly a star, and a dozen or so role-players that come out of this draft. That looks like the motherload compared to 89.

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
Jeff Teague? LOL He's 6-1

Jeff Teague? LOL

He's 6-1 and a combo guard......

The next best guy who has high superstar potential is Tyreke Evans....

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
Whoa

Whoa 1989?

Hardaway

Kemp

Vlade?

Rice?

Elliot?

llperez
llperez's picture
this draft

Maybe because a lot of us are caught up in it right now we want to defend it. But I think this year's draft is really bad compared to most years. It could surprise me, but I doubt it.

Tocane
As far as NBA-ready players

As far as NBA-ready players go, I think it's pretty weak. Girffin and Harden are the only two who could help a team right now. Other than them, everyone else is considered either a project (player with potential) or a likely role player.

CorningKingsFan31
CorningKingsFan31's picture
theres just too many

good wing players in the nba right now for someone to have a chance to play on. look at everyone. most teams have guys at the 2 and 3 spots that they like or are happy with.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
Let's have this draft first

Let's have this draft first before we rank it lol. How can you rank it based on hype or lack of. Lot of the young players who stay in would be top 10 if they returned to school another year. This draft is a lil better than average

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
Well, we will have to wait 3

Well, we will have to wait 3 years....In My NBA Draft ratings....i gave it a 5 out of 10.

Too many potential guys

and only 2 NBA ready guys (Griffin, Hill)

piratejp
Harden

I'm convinced Harden will be one of the ones to pan out from this draft. That guy is solid through and through. I wish the Kings were in a position to take him, but with SG being the least needed spot on the team, it won't happen. Whoever gets him is getting a good player though.

Steph Curry & Henderson from Duke are other guys I like as seemingly likely to have a solid pro career.

piratejp
vlade

Was Vlade in 89 - I thought he was the year before? If so, he helps, but still waaaaay more misses than hits in that draft. Kemp was good, but failed to live up to his potential until he ultimately decided to join the professional eating circuit.

Hardaway, Rice & Elliot were all good to very good players, but the draft as a whole was stinky with a few gems buried in the poo & not a single star. Of course I'm probably a bit biased as a Kings fan. Pervis Ellison...ugh.

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
I agree to a point 89 was a

I agree to a point 89 was a slow year...but now, that draft kinda looks good. I mean, those 5-6 guys make it look good but that was a role player's draft

"Never Nervous" Pervis.... He was never nervous because he never played

piratejp
Good old "Out of Service"

Good old "Out of Service" Pervis.

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
The Draft that made me

The Draft that made me cringe was 86

Len Bias was MJ with a bigger body...Image his and Larry...God Bless his soul man

Also, I think everyone overlooks the 98 draft...I think it's up there with 96 and 03

The Mantis
I think it's impossible to

I think it's impossible to even say that this draft is even the worst in the last 5 years. No one will know until 3-4 years from now if this will even be that. True, there is only one real "sure thing" in this draft, but there tends to only be one or two "sure things" in most drafts. I think it is lacking in, say, picks 2-10, but after that it's about as deep as your average draft. Simply with the very good depth of the PG position in this draft it makes it a bit silly to say it's the worst in 25 years....as every team needs a decent PG in order to win. But, again, we won't really be able to do any real comparisons until around 2012 or 2013.

piratejp
Lenny Bias

My dad is a Celtic fan & I rooted for them before moving to Sacramento in the 80's & eventually becomming a Kings fan- so I know exactly what you're talking about. I remember I didn't believe the person who told me about it - I thought it was just a very unfunny joke. Until I realized it that it was a very unfunny tragedy. What a waste of talent, life, everything. Just sad.

The old man still swears up and down that the Celtics would have won at least 1 more championship if he hadn't died. The big 3 probably wouldn't have worn down as quick as he would have taken a lot of pressure off those guys - especially in those brutal Eastern Conference playoff series. I remember the Lakers (or whoever) would show up to the finals all healthy & fresh while the Celtics (or whoever) looked like they'd just been through war and were just happy to still be alive.

Who knows what they could have done with Bias, but it's certainly not beyond the pale to imagine them taking the Lakers in the finals or staying ahead of Detroit (at least) one more year with him on board.

piratejp
ummm

Obviously we won't know how this draft stacks up until years from now. But if that is the bar we're setting, that really limits the stuff we can talk about in this forum. Even if we won't know who's right, it's still interesting to hear people's opinions on how this draft stacks up.

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
I was watching a documentary

I was watching a documentary on the Celtics and the rise and fall.

I mean Bias would have had a MJ like difference on that team man. But also, The celtics were too loyal man. Dennis Johnson and Kevin McHale for a 1st round pick in the 90 (That pick was J-Kidd).... I mean also the Reggie Lewis tragedy among others....

As A knick fan i hate them. But as a Basketball fan, I'm happy to see a loved NBA franchise win.

llperez
llperez's picture
knicksboy

Are sure about the Celtics turning down JKidd in the 90 draft so they could hold onto McHale and DJohnson? Kidd was drafted in 94 and both McHale and Johnson had retired by then.

draftnik
draftnik's picture
09 draft

This year's draft isn't as star-laden as 84, 96, or 03, but this isn't ven the worst draft in this decade. The 00, 01, and 06 draft is pretty mediocre in retrospect, but like most of the people here have said, let's give this draft class atleast three years, better yet the chance of actually being drafted, before we crown them the worst in 25 years

Knicksboy34
Knicksboy34's picture
I meant to put 90's...it was

I meant to put 90's...it a early 90's pick...i cannot remember...sorry for the typo.

rocketsfan82
2000 draft is worst in last 25 years

the 2000 draft is the worst in last 25 years

this years might not be as bad as people think

Griffin
Derozan
Jennings
Rubio
Tyreke
Holiday
all of these and more have the potential to be allstars

JJ7
JJ7's picture
This draft will shock people....

This will be a good draft when its all said and done.... i reckon its just getting lots of flack because its so guard orientated and lacks bigmen. But a lot of these players will have great careers.

piratejp
PGs

I really believe that several of these point guards will be at the very least functional backups, with a few likely to end up as good to very good starting point guards. That alone would put this draft ahead of at least a few others considering how tough a position PG can be to fill. Add in the other players that succeed - I expect Griffin and Harden at least - and it gets better still.

artofwar
artofwar's picture
good draft.

I agree with JJ7, there are very few big men prospects, so everyone is same that this draft is weak. I think this will turnout to be a good draft.

j1232e
I will

Say it again, this draft is full of role players. roll players=playoffs= playoffs=championships championships=role players.This draft will have players for the next 12 years. Role players. 3-4 players will be annually allstars the rest will be the players we hate in the playoffs.

billyk
Super stars = championships

Super stars = championships

RSS: Syndicate content