2007-2009 Draft

44ears81
44ears81's picture
2007-2009 Draft

Create starting line-ups with one 6th man.

PG – Steph Curry
SG – James Harden
SF – DeMar DeRozan
PF – Blake Griffen
C - Taj Gibson

6 - Jrue Holiday

This draft had no good big men (Thabeet). Also, had to leave off Lawson

PG – Derrick Rose
SG – Russell Westbrook
SF – Kevin Love
PF – Serge Ibaka
C – Brook Lopez
6 – O.J. Mayo

This draft was stacked, so a lot of good players were left out

PG – Mike Conley
SG – Arron Afflalo
SF – Kevin Durant
PF – Al Horford
C – Marc Gasol
6 – Joakim Noah

This draft had no SG, so Arron Afflalo by default

Anton123
Anton123's picture
2008 should be more like: PG

2008 should be more like:

PG – Derrick Rose
SG – Russell Westbrook
SF – Danilo Gallinari
PF – Kevin Love
C – Roy Hibbert
6 – Eric Gordon (could also switch him and Westbrook)

Kevin Love is obviously no small forward. It's arguable between Brook and Hibbert, but with Rose, Westbrook and Love the team has loads of offense and Hibbert is a much better defender than Lopez

WITNESS2014
WITNESS2014's picture
2008- This list is the

2008- This list is the hardest because of all the big men in this draft. Hibbert, Pekovic, Jordan, McGee, Lopez twins, Ibaka. I wouldn't have Love at SF so I think Gallinari is the best one from this class so I would take Ibaka off and move Love to the PF spot.

PG- Rose
SG- Westbrook
SF- Gallinari
PF- Love
C- Hibbert

Chilbert arenas
Chilbert arenas's picture
Man that '08 draft was

Man that '08 draft was stacked, but no way can you put Love at the small forward. And I remember how that '09 draft was deemed "weak" at the time. Funny how the rookie of the year from that class isn't even the 6th man but I agree with excluding Tyreke.

ItsVictorOladipo
ItsVictorOladipo's picture
IMO 2008 should be: PG

IMO 2008 should be:

PG Derrick Rose
SG Russell Westbrook
SF Nic Batum
PF Kevin Love
C Roy Hibbert

6th Ryan Anderson (although Eric Gordon, Serge Ibaka, Brook Lopez and Danilo Gallinari deserve some recognition as well)

From the perspective of best team (not necessarily best players) I think 2007 would be the best. The second best player in the league and a dominant scorer at SF. A good low post scorer and highly efficient/selfless player in Al Horford to complement him. A very good defensive center. A good defensive and a pass first PG in Conley, and a good defensive and decent shooter in Afflalo. With a high energy, terrific defensive talent off the bench in Noah.

For the record this is what I would go with for 2010:

PG John Wall
SG Avery Bradley
SF Paul George
PF Greg Monroe
C DeMarcus Cousins
6th Derrick Favors

Kinguy11
2009 PG – Steph Curry SG –

PG – Steph Curry
SG – James Harden
SF – Chase Budinger
PF – Blake Griffin
C – Taj Gibson
6th Man: Tyreke Evans

PG – Derrick Rose
SG – Russell Westbrook
SF – Nicholas Batum
PF – Kevin Love
C – Brook Lopez
6th Man: Danilo Gallinari

PG – Mike Conley
SG – Arron Affalo
SF – Kevin Durant
PF – Al Horford
C – Marc Gasol
6th Man: Jeff Green (versatility wise he's a good option)

Hitster
Hitster's picture
2007 PG Mike Conley SG Arron

PG Mike Conley
SG Arron Afflalo
SF Kevin Durant
PF Al Horford
C Marc Gasol

The bench would be from Joakim Noah, Tiago Splitter, Jeff Green, Brandan Wright, Wilson Chandler, Glen Davis, Corey Brewer, Rodney Stuckley, Spencer Hawes etc

PG/SG Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook ( They can figure out who plays which role but both need to play)
SF Danilio Gallinari
PF Kevin Love
C Roy Hibbert

The bench would be strong to - Brook Lopez, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Ryan Anderson, Serge Ibaka, Nikola Pekovic and Nicolas Batum.

You'd then still have Omer Asik, Kosta Koufos, George Hill, JaVale McGee, Goran Dragic, Michael Beasley, Luc Mbah a Moute, DeAndre Jordan, Marresse Speights, J.J Hickson and co.

So you could certainly make two maybe even 3 good teams from the 2008 draft class.

PG Ricky Rubio/Jrue Holiday
SG James Harden
SF Tyreke Evans
PF Blake Griffin
C Taj Gibson

The bench would be from Stephen Curry, Brandan Jennings, DeMar Rozan, Chase Budinger, Jonas Jerebko, DeJaun Blair, Jeff Teague, Byron Mullens, Tyler Hansborough etc.

So despite the much vaunted 2007 draft, the 2008 draft certainly looks to have the best overall draft, the 2009 draft had a raft of backcourt talent but the frontcourt apart from Blake Griffin looks rather thin.

Conezd
Why isn't joakim the starter

Why isn't joakim the starter over Marc Gasol in any of these 07 teams? I know Gasol was DOP this year but I think most people would agree Noah is the better defensive C. He's just as good as a passer as Gasol,(if you don't agree then you would probably still put him as the second best passing C). He's a better rebounder and a better leader. And he's tougher. That's just my opinion I guess. Also, can we stop all the praise for Avery Bradley. He's not that good. He's a decent defender when he gaurds guys his size but that is literally all he contributes. He cannot play point gaurd, he's is a bad ball handler and shooter for someone his size. In fact he'd be a bad shooting SF and an average ball handler for a 2 gaurd.

mike_r232
Here's a whole team for 2008

I think it might be interesting to put a whole team together for 2008. Here's how I see it:

PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Russell Westbrook
SF - Danilo Gallinari
PF - Kevin Love
C - Roy Hibbert

6 - Brook Lopez
7 - Eric Gordon
8 - OJ Mayo
9 - Ryan Anderson
10 - Serge Ibaka
11 - Omer Asik
12 - Nicolas Batum
IR1 - JJ Hickson
IR2 - Nikola Pekovic
IR3 - George Hill

Honorable mention: Mario Chalmers, Robin Lopez, Javale McGee and DeAndre Jordan.

You could switch 8-12 in any position you want really. MAN this draft had some depth at the center spot!

Hitster
Hitster's picture
The 2008 draft maybe has more

The 2008 draft maybe has more depth than the 2003 draft although if you put a peak 2003 team against a peak 2008 team, I'd take the 2003 team just down to the star players on that team.

I would say that currently those two years rank as the best recent draft years, ones going back a bit further like 1996 with huge depth and star quality and 1984 perhaps the strongest in many aspects also spring to mind.

RSS: Syndicate content