This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar The Game_GM 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Ballinmvp
    Participant

NBA TV is doing a special June 9th about the historic class, I’m kinda curious to see some aspects about the class that I may not know. I personally think the 84 class is the best class ever with a very, very second in the 96 class. But I’m really stocked for the special.

Grandmama
    Participant

Definitely the best class ever.  I’m excited to watch.  Should get some really interesting insight on reasoning for the picks.  I’d really like to hear from whoever had the final decision for Bowie over Jordan, assuming he’s even alive or participated in the filming.

Grandmama
    Participant

Definitely the best class ever.  I’m excited to watch.  Should get some really interesting insight on reasoning for the picks.  I’d really like to hear from whoever had the final decision for Bowie over Jordan, assuming he’s even alive or participated in the filming.

Rip255

Unluckiest guy in the world is Sam Bowie. He would have been worthy of the #2 pick in any draft bar injuries.

The fact that Jordan happened to be #3 just makes it even worse.

I think he would have been a hall of fame centre if not for those injuries.

Great 30 for 30 on him.

Rip255

Unluckiest guy in the world is Sam Bowie. He would have been worthy of the #2 pick in any draft bar injuries.

The fact that Jordan happened to be #3 just makes it even worse.

I think he would have been a hall of fame centre if not for those injuries.

Great 30 for 30 on him.

WITNESS2014
    Participant

Reminds me of how bad i feel for Portland. Bowie picked before Jordan, Oden before Durant, and what Brandon Roy would of been if it wasn’t for injuries. 

WITNESS2014
    Participant

Reminds me of how bad i feel for Portland. Bowie picked before Jordan, Oden before Durant, and what Brandon Roy would of been if it wasn’t for injuries. 

ItsVictorOladipo
    Participant

I always feel like 1985 really flies under the radar as far as drafts go. 4 Hall of Famers in Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin and Joe Dumars. 6 other guys who would make at least 1 All-Star team in Detlef Schrempf, Charles Oakley, Xavier McDaniel, Terry Porter, AC Green and Michael Adams.

And a plethora of other guys that would go on to carve out nice careers in the league; Manute Bol, Spud Webb, Mario Elie, Hot Rod Williams, Sam Mitchell, Tyrone Corbin, Wayman Tisdale, Gerald Wilkins, Terry Catledge, and Benoit Benjamin.

The back to back drafts of ’84 and ’85 really infused a lot of talent into the league. Half the Dream Team came from those two drafts (not to mention Olajuwon who was ineligible but surely would have made it had he been a US citizen at the time) alone!

ItsVictorOladipo
    Participant

I always feel like 1985 really flies under the radar as far as drafts go. 4 Hall of Famers in Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin and Joe Dumars. 6 other guys who would make at least 1 All-Star team in Detlef Schrempf, Charles Oakley, Xavier McDaniel, Terry Porter, AC Green and Michael Adams.

And a plethora of other guys that would go on to carve out nice careers in the league; Manute Bol, Spud Webb, Mario Elie, Hot Rod Williams, Sam Mitchell, Tyrone Corbin, Wayman Tisdale, Gerald Wilkins, Terry Catledge, and Benoit Benjamin.

The back to back drafts of ’84 and ’85 really infused a lot of talent into the league. Half the Dream Team came from those two drafts (not to mention Olajuwon who was ineligible but surely would have made it had he been a US citizen at the time) alone!

Magic Jordan
    Participant

I know somebody who was sitting on the baseline the day Bowie broke his leg in the Blazers game.  He still claims he could hear the snap from about 6 rows back.  He cringes just talking about it.

Magic Jordan
    Participant

I know somebody who was sitting on the baseline the day Bowie broke his leg in the Blazers game.  He still claims he could hear the snap from about 6 rows back.  He cringes just talking about it.

vulture711
    Participant

Listened to it in my mom’s car.  The 76ers had two high picks just like this year.  Hit a homer with Barkley and whiffed with Leon Woo (No D)

vulture711
    Participant

Listened to it in my mom’s car.  The 76ers had two high picks just like this year.  Hit a homer with Barkley and whiffed with Leon Woo (No D)

capecodder
      Participant

At least he’s had a long career in the NBA as a referee…I believe he’s the second to do that….Workman also

capecodder
      Participant

At least he’s had a long career in the NBA as a referee…I believe he’s the second to do that….Workman also

MattP31
    Participant

I met him a couple years ago and he seems like a nice guy. Currently owns race horses

MattP31
    Participant

I met him a couple years ago and he seems like a nice guy. Currently owns race horses

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

An Interesting note about that draft_

Portland obtained the 2nd pick in a deal 3 years earlier with the Indiana Pacers for Tom Owens…So there could’ve been a great chance that Micheal Jordan might have been a Pacer if they had kept the pick…

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

An Interesting note about that draft_

Portland obtained the 2nd pick in a deal 3 years earlier with the Indiana Pacers for Tom Owens…So there could’ve been a great chance that Micheal Jordan might have been a Pacer if they had kept the pick…

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

Can’t imagine Jordan a Pacer and Reggie Miller not a Pacer haha. If they had Jordan I don’t think they would’ve drafted Reggie!

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

Can’t imagine Jordan a Pacer and Reggie Miller not a Pacer haha. If they had Jordan I don’t think they would’ve drafted Reggie!

inallairness
    Participant

Hey, everyone. New user here. Seems like a good community. I found the forum after learning of NBA TV’s forthcoming documentary, THE84DRAFT.

Would love to know your thoughts on a podcast episode I did, about this very topic. I love old school hoops, as you’ll soon discover:

inallairness.com/25

Look forward to some more discussion, soon. Thanks, Adam.

inallairness
    Participant

Hey, everyone. New user here. Seems like a good community. I found the forum after learning of NBA TV’s forthcoming documentary, THE84DRAFT.

Would love to know your thoughts on a podcast episode I did, about this very topic. I love old school hoops, as you’ll soon discover:

inallairness.com/25

Look forward to some more discussion, soon. Thanks, Adam.

The Game_GM
    Participant

I will play the what if game…What if Patrick Ewing, coming off a NCAA title over Hakeem in college and who had beaten Bowie in the final for that same year, had come out as a junior? Who would have gone first? Hakeem or Patrick?

The Game_GM
    Participant

I will play the what if game…What if Patrick Ewing, coming off a NCAA title over Hakeem in college and who had beaten Bowie in the final for that same year, had come out as a junior? Who would have gone first? Hakeem or Patrick?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login