This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar IndianaBasketball 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    HobbyOG
    Participant

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/230320/Hayward-Likely-To-Get-$50M+-Extension-From-Jazz

Geesh seems like alot of money for these two. They both would be restricted FA at the end of the season, I would of let them test FA and matched or a sign and trade. Gordon has been hurt alot and Favors is coming into his own but this season will determine if he’s a top notch NBA PF.

What do you guys think?

bobforte
    Participant

I think Hayward will prove he is worth the money. I don’t think the Jazz will win very many games but with the core they have and if they can get a top 5 pick next year (hopefully wiggins) they can turn it around real fast. Favors is a good young big and prob worth the money he rebounds well and plays great defense. If you think about it they have all but one piece in place and that is the star. haha i know thats a big piece but If they can get that, they can use hayward as the second option and favors is a great piece to build with as well.

bobforte
    Participant

I think Hayward will prove he is worth the money. I don’t think the Jazz will win very many games but with the core they have and if they can get a top 5 pick next year (hopefully wiggins) they can turn it around real fast. Favors is a good young big and prob worth the money he rebounds well and plays great defense. If you think about it they have all but one piece in place and that is the star. haha i know thats a big piece but If they can get that, they can use hayward as the second option and favors is a great piece to build with as well.

CodySLC
    Participant

I don’t think Hayward will get quite as much money as Favors did, at least per year. And I think its worth it. Sign them now before another team in the offseason overpays and we have to match or let them walk. Hayward averaged 144ppg 3rpg and 3apg and only 29mpg, and Favors 9.1ppg 7.1rpg and 1.7bpg in only 23mpg. When given the minutes I think both can and will live up to there contracts. They are both still very young also.

CodySLC
    Participant

I don’t think Hayward will get quite as much money as Favors did, at least per year. And I think its worth it. Sign them now before another team in the offseason overpays and we have to match or let them walk. Hayward averaged 144ppg 3rpg and 3apg and only 29mpg, and Favors 9.1ppg 7.1rpg and 1.7bpg in only 23mpg. When given the minutes I think both can and will live up to there contracts. They are both still very young also.

Jordo
    Participant

I thought favors was pretty reasonable but idk about this. And what are they gonna do when kanter’s extention comes up?

Jordo
    Participant

I thought favors was pretty reasonable but idk about this. And what are they gonna do when kanter’s extention comes up?

HobbyOG
      Participant

Good question! I think Kanter will get big bucks as well. He’s getting better and will get alot of playing time next year.

HobbyOG
      Participant

Good question! I think Kanter will get big bucks as well. He’s getting better and will get alot of playing time next year.

jwall1
    Participant

That would be surprising. I see a fair contract for Hayward being 4 years, 32 million.

jwall1
    Participant

That would be surprising. I see a fair contract for Hayward being 4 years, 32 million.

machu46
    Participant

Yeah, I’d definitely be trying to keep Hayward at around $8 mil a year at the most.

machu46
    Participant

Yeah, I’d definitely be trying to keep Hayward at around $8 mil a year at the most.

B-ball fan
    Participant

Considering Paul George is getting between $80 and $90 million dollars, Gordon Hayward getting $50 million is fine for the Jazz. The trio of Hayward, Favors, and Kanter has potential down the road as long as the Jazz keep building. With another lottery pick and a nice veteran signing, the Jazz could develop into a playoff team in a few years.

B-ball fan
    Participant

Considering Paul George is getting between $80 and $90 million dollars, Gordon Hayward getting $50 million is fine for the Jazz. The trio of Hayward, Favors, and Kanter has potential down the road as long as the Jazz keep building. With another lottery pick and a nice veteran signing, the Jazz could develop into a playoff team in a few years.

Moon River
    Participant

As an outsider of the Jazz, I think this is a pretty heavy investment for these two.

This Hayward contract certainly does not do the Bulls any favors with Deng up at the end of the season.

Moon River
    Participant

As an outsider of the Jazz, I think this is a pretty heavy investment for these two.

This Hayward contract certainly does not do the Bulls any favors with Deng up at the end of the season.

sheltwon3
    Participant

Unless he is a All Star, I don’t see the reason to overpay a small forward. Small Forward is the deepest position in basketball period. Only the best deserve huge numbers. Center and shooting guard are the weakest positions depth wise. Point guard is the most important but there are actually a bunch of quality point guards in rotation. Power forward is a weird position to call because you have actually power forwards and undersized centers playing that position which made them deep in numbers but not always in quality. I believe if Hayward were to hit the market, he would not get the kind of money Utah will pay him and that he could be easily replaced. This is why some teams struggle financially. They lack business sense unless Hayward is bring in a bunch of fans by popularity which could actually be debated then this is a horrible deal.

sheltwon3
    Participant

Unless he is a All Star, I don’t see the reason to overpay a small forward. Small Forward is the deepest position in basketball period. Only the best deserve huge numbers. Center and shooting guard are the weakest positions depth wise. Point guard is the most important but there are actually a bunch of quality point guards in rotation. Power forward is a weird position to call because you have actually power forwards and undersized centers playing that position which made them deep in numbers but not always in quality. I believe if Hayward were to hit the market, he would not get the kind of money Utah will pay him and that he could be easily replaced. This is why some teams struggle financially. They lack business sense unless Hayward is bring in a bunch of fans by popularity which could actually be debated then this is a horrible deal.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

You have to look at the market.

Danillo Gallinari got 4 years $42 million. Nicolas Batum got 4 yrs $46 million. Tyreke Evans got 4 years $44 million. To think Hayward wouldn’t have gotten an offer sheet close to $50 million on the open market is silly.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

You have to look at the market.

Danillo Gallinari got 4 years $42 million. Nicolas Batum got 4 yrs $46 million. Tyreke Evans got 4 years $44 million. To think Hayward wouldn’t have gotten an offer sheet close to $50 million on the open market is silly.

sheltwon3
      Participant

WTH please explain your logic. You just proved that he should not get 50 million on the open market and used that as your defense. LOL Also each of the guys you mentioned are overpaid. This is supposely the reason the NBA had a lockout. Guys that have not proven to be top players should not get big money. Years when that player does not perform up to the contract, they will just trade the contract to a dumber team.

IndianaBasketball
        Participant

I wrote “close” to $50 million. It’s called rounding up. Nicolas Batum was given a 4 year $46 million dollar contract. Gordon Hayward is a very similar player. You could argue he’s better.

Those players I listed were paid in between $40-50 (I’m rounding the figures) million over 4 years. We could argue all day who is overpaid, but the market determines a player’s value whether you like it or not. When you look at the market, why is it so hard to see Hayward getting anything in between that range? IF it’s on the high end and he gets $50, that still shouldn’t be THAT surprising.

IndianaBasketball
        Participant

I wrote “close” to $50 million. It’s called rounding up. Nicolas Batum was given a 4 year $46 million dollar contract. Gordon Hayward is a very similar player. You could argue he’s better.

Those players I listed were paid in between $40-50 (I’m rounding the figures) million over 4 years. We could argue all day who is overpaid, but the market determines a player’s value whether you like it or not. When you look at the market, why is it so hard to see Hayward getting anything in between that range? IF it’s on the high end and he gets $50, that still shouldn’t be THAT surprising.

sheltwon3
      Participant

WTH please explain your logic. You just proved that he should not get 50 million on the open market and used that as your defense. LOL Also each of the guys you mentioned are overpaid. This is supposely the reason the NBA had a lockout. Guys that have not proven to be top players should not get big money. Years when that player does not perform up to the contract, they will just trade the contract to a dumber team.

Jester87
    Participant

Hayward is gonna prove he’s worth that money. I’m not sure about Favors, he has potential but he hasn’t shown this far the improvements he was expected to make and he’s still pretty raw in some aspects of his game, a bit risky here

Jester87
    Participant

Hayward is gonna prove he’s worth that money. I’m not sure about Favors, he has potential but he hasn’t shown this far the improvements he was expected to make and he’s still pretty raw in some aspects of his game, a bit risky here

LOFTY
    Participant

i know why they didnt wait and im sure you all remember, PORTLAND has it out for us! they would over pay the 2 guys to force us to let them walk or have the jazz over pay. im glad utah did this before portland had any chance at screwing things up AGAIN

LOFTY
    Participant

i know why they didnt wait and im sure you all remember, PORTLAND has it out for us! they would over pay the 2 guys to force us to let them walk or have the jazz over pay. im glad utah did this before portland had any chance at screwing things up AGAIN

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login