#1 PG in the 2011 Draft? Gunnin' for the #1 Spot pt.2

Windy City Assassin
#1 PG in the 2011 Draft? Gunnin' for the #1 Spot pt.2

Who will be the #1 PG taken in the draft since Irving is more than likely to stay now due to season ending toe injury?

All I can say is hop on the Brandon Knight bandwagon if you don't think he will be the first PG off the board, but Irvings injury has now opened the flood gates for PGs to showcase what they have for that #1 spot.

lalaila
lalaila's picture
hmm i hope Irving will play

hmm i hope Irving will play this season..

but with out him i think it's Brandon for sure. Around 6'4 200 at age of only 17 for the first month of the season is something rare..and he is getting better, already avg 17/4/4..it's enough for me

mj23mj23bestever
b knight

hes playin so well rite now he mite have passed irving wiht out the injury thats no knock on irving i think hes gonna b a legit nba pg but knight has been very impressive so far

hiphopismylife
hiphopismylife's picture
I think Irving will still go

I think Irving will still go ahead of Knight. If he doesn't play again the last memory people will have of him is him picking apart Michigan State. He got a lot of national exposure in a short time and played great every time he was on the big stage. Nobody has gotten to see him struggle.

Plus it's a toe, not a knee. I dont think he'll have any trouble making a full recovery.

Knight is a great player, but not the rare pure point guard that Irving is. There aren't many of those to go around.

lalaila
lalaila's picture
yes Knight isn't a pure point

yes Knight isn't a pure point and probably will never be but his size is already good for a combo guard, he has very wide shoulders and he is so young he could probably end up as big as 6'5 210 or something taht would let him easily play SG..as a pure point there is no questions Kyrie is/will be better but as overall player i think we won't have an answer very soon

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Have a feeling....

Irving might still enter the draft regardless. It would of course probably be tough for him to end his time in college after a few games, as I am sure he would like the chance to play on the big stage, but the draft might be too much of an opportunity to pass up, especially seeing as he has already faced an injury that might keep him out for the entire season. No matter how minor it is (and it obviously is not too minor if it keeps him out until April), it still has to be scary and maybe lead to him wanting to get his while he still can. The guy is obviously a great player, and if he enters the draft he should still go top 3. If he comes back next year, who knows where he might go, especially if the age limit gets overturned, than the draft might be ridiculously stacked and he could slide.

I know you might think I am being overly cautious, but we have all seen what can happen due to injury. Kyrie is not Greg Oden or Jay Williams, but this is definitely a pretty scary thing to happen to someone who was making a case as the best NBA prospect in college basketball. A lot of factors play in here, but he may just go back to college as he feels he wants to compete on that level and show people what they might miss for the rest of this year. I feel he takes a big risk coming back, but with a lockout more than likely coming maybe he feels he has little to lose. Nonetheless, I was shaken up by this news and feel really bad for him, I really hope he gets a chance to come back and play this year. If he does indeed come back, he and Rivers will be fire, amazing back court. Still, I feel he might leave, even though I am sure he will be disappointed in having such a short career at Duke (if he does not get a chance to come back and play).

If Irving does come back for his sophomore season, I think Brandon Knight more than likely moves into the top spot for PG's. I think Selby might be even better than Knight, but Brandon has played very well, is a big PG and is a very skilled player, he could be a top 5 pick if Irving stays in school. Kemba Walker and Josh Selby would both be competing for that top spot, but I think Knight is the #2 PG but a pretty fair distance at this point. All of them have questionable PG skills, but Knight seems to have the most to build with and seems likely to make the smoothest transition to NBA PG out of he, Walker and Selby.

delfam
delfam's picture
Duke still has the talent to

Duke still has the talent to make it to the Final Four so there probably is still a legitimate shot that if this is a seriuos injury he could still play a game or two in the tournament.

Im Your Father
Im Your Father's picture
You guys realize that by no

You guys realize that by no means is it a sure thing that he'll miss the entire season. That is the worst case scenario.

Mike23456
For those u actually watched

For those u actually watched both players from high school to dis point in my opinion Kyrie and Brandon are close to being similiar n da fact dat they are both more combo guards becomin pure point guards. Lets not be so quick to think dat Kyrie is is way betta then Brandon...Kyrie is playin PG for an experienced defending championship team who can probably repeat without him having a great or even good season becuz of there veteran leadership from other future 1st ROUND picks n the startin line-up.And yes nolan smith can run that team efficiently for the entire season if need be. More pressure is on Brandon to be thrown in the fire to run a very very very young teamwhere the only experience really is darius miller and Deandre liggins and they were not real big factors n last years team...Dis team will go as far as Brandon takes them.(Not to take anything from T.Jones but he can have a great game and this team will still lose.)

xavier328
xavier328's picture
NOWAY Iriving's team has him

NOWAY Iriving's team has him come back next year...this year is a weak class point guard wise....2012 its going to be a good PG class...plus hes a top 3 pick already cant get better.

Im Your Father
Im Your Father's picture
@Mike23456, except for this

@Mike23456, except for this isn't high school and it is clear from watching the two play that Irving is a better passer and has better vision than Knight does. Also, It's not like Irving was deferring to his teammates, he was straight up taking over games. There is no doubt in my mind that Irving is the better prospect.

the lake show
i think he goes. He's a top 2

i think he goes. He's a top 2 pick and number one as of now. The injury doesn't hurt his stock and actually helps because with him not playing no one can pick apart his game or a weakness becoming more obvious, just like Kanter not playing

the lake show
After reading a Coach K

After reading a Coach K interview it seems like Kyrie will be out for the season. Ligament damage and Coach K saying " its very serious and we have to look at whats best for his CAREER"

Im Your Father
Im Your Father's picture
Quincey, there hasn't been

Quincey, there hasn't been any official word yet, but what supposedly is going on, is that they are evaluating weather or not he will get surgery on the toe, which would likely end his season . If he does end up having surgery, it will be because they think him playing on it will hurt it worse.

the lake show
chances are high that he will

chances are high that he will miss the season if you read between the lines and read the article with quotes form the player and Coach on ESPN. Its not looking good as far as him playing again this season. When a coach says "we are looking at what is best for his CAREER and its very serious" then that's not a good sign

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5903650

Even without him i still think Duke is the favorite (i think Ohio st is close)

Mike23456
@IM YOUR FATHER i do agree

@IM YOUR FATHER i do agree wit u to certain extent about the passing and vision but by watching kentucky the past 3 season from D.Rose,T.Evans,and J.Wall this system is not made the for point guards to look great passing the ball or to show there vision and u can even make the arguement it kind of hinders a PG's passing ability. J.wall,D.Rose, and T.Evans put up exceptionally higher assist numbers n there rookie seasons and thats not just becuase the talent is different since its the NBA.The drible drive offense really enhances PG's sccoring and driving ability so when they get to the NBA they have the dual threat of being PG's who help a team scoring and passing as well as display their athletisicm.And Brandon is an overall better shooter even though the stats may not show that but I think both Brandon and Kyrie's rookie season will truly decide who is better than who.(I am very impressd with Kyrie overall ability though he is better than i thought...hope he gets well)

Windy City Assassin
With all this debate being

With all this debate being said, which PGs will be Gunnin for the #1 spot, since it looks like Irving will stay another year?

If you don't think he stays, JUST ASSUME HE DOES

the lake show
If by some miracle he stays i

If by some miracle he stays i say ...............depends on how the point guards do in NBA workouts since there no clear cut number 2

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Only possible way Irving

Only possible way Irving stays is if the NBA has the lockout. He's the #1 PG prospect if he declares.

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
I think Kyrie still declares

I think Kyrie still declares despite his injury and will be the first PG off the board.

Windy City Assassin
Looks like Selby has the

Looks like Selby has the potential to be the #1 PG if he keeps playing this well all season.

RSS: Syndicate content